1868 Mathematical Instruments Catalog for Drawing, Surveying and Civil Engineering by the James Queen Company. A most unusual catalog of vintage mathematical and surveying tools . A really strange collection of scientific apparatus for grade school and high school students? Includes page after page of beautifully illustrated math insturments and drawing tools. But the real treat is the many pages of railroad drawing compasses, transit compass, engineeres levels and surveyors transits.
From the Scientific American, April 28, 1888
Mr James W. Queen, a gentleman of scientific attainments and great business ability, began in the city of Philadelphia a small business in optical and philosophical apparatus. In 1859 he associated with Mr. Samuel L. Fox, and under their personal supervision and management, the business steadily developed and quickly outstripped similar establishments. In the year 1870 Mr James W. Queen withdrew, and Mr. S.L. Fox continued and still continues the business under the old title of James W. Queen & Co. Different branches were gradually added until the business became the largest and most comprehensive of its kind in the United States or in the world. The progress and development of this business is, without doubt, a fair index of the scientific progress of this country. In time the business became so large that it was found necessary to arrange the different branches under different departments, with a competent man at the head of each department.
There are at present six departments, arranged under the following heads: physical and chemical, engineering, ophthalmic, microscopical, the magic lantern department, and the photographic department. The headquarters of these departments are at 924 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, at the site occupied originally by Mr. Queen. But, the business having enormously outgrown the building, some departments were obliged to seek quarters for apparatus in other buildings in the vicinity of the main offices of the establishment. The factory in which are made a large proportion of the instruments and apparatus sold by Queen & Co. was long ago removed to more commodious quarters, now occupying a floor extending through a city block and fifty-five feet in width.