1928 Robert Simpson Mailorder Catalog on CD
The dry goods store which would later become the Robert Simpson Company opened in 1858 in Newmarket, Ontario. The store was destroyed by a fire in 1870 and reopened two years later, in 1872, in Toronto. The company was renamed the Robert Simpson Company Limited in May 1896 shortly before Robert Simpson's death in 1897. His sudden death on 14 Dec. 1897, at the age of 63 with no son to inherit the business, placed a heavy burden on his wife and his daughter, Margaret. The business was therefore sold in March 1898 for $135,000 to a syndicate of three Toronto businessmen, Harris Henry Fudger, Joseph Flavelle, and Alfred Ernest Ames.
The store in downtown Toronto included one of Toronto's most exclusive restaurants, the Arcadian Court, which opened in 1929. This disk presents the colorful, 303 page, 1928 catalog. Enjoy!!!
Sample thumbnails taken from the collection.
(Low resolution thumbnails - CD/DVD images are scanned at 300 DPI)